Friday, May 2, 2008

EXAM - Contingency Plan

A lot of information posted on the web indicates a 40% - 60% success rate for candidates taking the exam. Gail has indicated that those people attending all of her classes typically are at a 70% passing rate.

So.

What to do if I don't pass?

I'm thinking ...

1) Sign up and take the Brainbench Software Quality Assurance exam. I may do this regardless, perhaps in another two weeks as a practice exam before the CSQE exam. It's only $50, considered "easier", but not generally regarded as highly as the CSQE.
Here's an InformationWeek article about Brainbench

2) For those that do not pass, ASQ provides feedback on how you did per knowledge area. I would certainly focus on those areas. The fee for a re-take is $160, $50 less than the original fee.

3) There is an ASQ World Congress in Maryland in September where they are offering the CSQE exam. That would allow for an additional 12 weeks of study. Maryland is not exactly in my neighborhood, so I'd have to allow for a couple days to get there and back.

4) The next scheduled national exam is in December. And the exam will be updated from what is currently being offered. I have to assume that much re-orienting will be required, but hopefully a fairly high percentage of material will still be applicable. Obviously, it's better to pass on the first try.

No comments: